- Florida Men's Golf photo
The Florida men's golf team dominated the final round of play at the Gators Invitational to claim their second title of 2021 and the second straight win at home.
Ricky Castillo entered the final round at even par before taking command as play came to a close. The sophomore, who claimed the individual title in last year's Gators Invitational, recorded seven birdies and only one bogey on his way to a 6-under par round and finished competition in a tie for 11th individually.
Overall, transfer Yuxin Lin paced the way for Florida. The All-American transfer rode his momentum deep into the final round and finished with a bogey-free scorecard. Entering the day 3-under par, Lin's five birdies propelled him to an 8-under par score of 202 and in a tie for sixth individually.
After a shining performance in the second round, freshman Joe Pagdin buckled down. Carding a bogey and a birdie within the first three holes, the England native found his stride and posted even par before a clutch eagle on the 17th hole put him 2-under on the day and in a tie for eighth at the conclusion of the tournament.
Fred Biondi turned in his best score of the tournament in the final round with the help of three birdies and an eagle over the first twelve holes.
Tyler Wilkes rounded out the lineup for the Gators, posting his third consecutive round under par to finish 5-under and tied for 18th individually – a career best.
Two players tied for individual medalist honors at 11-under 199. Andrew Kozan of Auburn shot a final-round 65 to catch the overnight leader Trent Phillips of the University of Georgia.
Davis Thompson, the current #1 in the Golfweek/AmateurGolf.com World Amateur Ranking
who this week clinched a spot on the U.S. Walker Cup team, finished tied for 11th at 6 under.
- This is the second win of the season for the Gators and marks the second consecutive Gators Invitational team title.
- Sophomore Yuxin Lin led the Gators for the first time this season, posting a 5-under final round to finish tied for sixth.
- Freshman Joe Pagdin recorded his first collegiate top-10 finish.
- Ricky Castillo carded a 64 in the final round of play, catapulting him into the top-15 individually.
- Finishing in a tie for 18th, Tyler Wilkes carded his best finish of his collegiate career.
All five Gators posted scorecards under par in the third round.
- Thanks to Florida Men's Golf for this report.
ABOUT THE Florida Gators Invitational
54 hole men's college tournament hosted by the
University of Florida. Team (best four scores out of
players) and individual competitions.
View Complete Tournament Information