Callaway GBB Epic Star Driver Review
14 Sep 2017
by Pete Wlodkowski of AmateurGolf.com
see also: Equipment Reviews
The Lightweight Callaway GBB Epic Star Driver
Japan is a huge golf market, and Callaway does quite well there, competing against some of the top Japanese equipment companies because they understand the unique needs of the market.
One of those is the desire for lighter swing weights. We're not talking about clubs that feel featherlight when you pick them up, but rather have a lighter overall and swing weight (a balance scale of sorts) that players in Japan prefer. The thing is, many of us should be swinging lighter clubs, which explains the reason these clubs often become highly coveted when they are issued a "Japan only" release. Fortunately for American golfers, the Epic Star driver and irons have just been released for our market, extending the potential success of the top driver at retail in 2017.
The GBB Epic Star driver is built for faster swing speeds while providing Jail Break, and all of the other golfer-tested benefits of the GBB Epic family. It's trimmed in gold instead of green, so if you're one of the first to have it in your bag you can expect a few questions from your friends. While maybe driving it past them.
Now that's Epic.
Let's take a look at some of the tech-specs of the GBB Epic Star driver, and how you might decide if it makes sense for you. (The short answer, hit them both at an upcoming Callaway fitting event where these have now found their way into the mix.)
- Increased swing speed and distance from premium, ultra light components
- Ultra-light 286-gram total weight based on 39-gram Mitsubishi Grand Bassara™ shaft, 41-gram Golf Pride® J200 grip, 9.7-gram triaxial carbon crown.
- Increased ball speed and distance from Jailbreak technology
- Innovative ball speed technology that profoundly changes how the head and face behave at impact, promoting more speed across a larger area of the face
- Innovative titanium Exo-cage with ultra-light triaxial carbon crown and sole moves more weight to the perimeter for high MOI, high launch and low spin
- Faster head speed from industry-leading aerodynamics
- Streamlined head with proprietary Speed Step™ to improve airflow for more swing speed and distance without extra effort
It's no secret that GBB Epic drivers have been not only successful at retail, but on the PGA Tours and amateur circuits as well. We're seeing them in the bags of some of the top players in the competitive game. Now that GBB Epic Star drivers have been added to the line, you'll have a world of choices for your next fitting and fall is the perfect time to evaluate the season behind us at a fitting day, and prep for a new one.