The 16th at SentryWorld (USGA photo)
Last week, the USGA announced qualifying sites for the 43rd U.S. Senior Open Championship, to be held at SentryWorld, in Stevens Point, Wis., from June 29-July 2. SentryWorld is hosting its first Senior Open and third USGA championship.
Conducted over 18 holes, qualifying will be held at 33 sites across the United States between May 8 and June 8. Online entry applications are available now and will continue through Wednesday, May 3, at 5 p.m. EDT.
Following our tradition of helping you pick some of the best USGA qualifying sites, our staff has selected five U.S. Senior Open qualifying locations you might want to put on your radar. You've worked hard to keep your handicap at 3.4 or better -- why not notch things up by playing an amazing course on your way to Wisconsin's Sentry World?
Here are five of our favorites on the 2023 qualifying schedule, listed in order of qualifying date:
COLUMBIA EDGEWATER COUNTRY CLUB
- Portland, Oregon
Wednesday, May 10, 2023
The site of the 2022 Pacific Coast Amateur is a regional favorite. The historic course opened in 1924 and has hosted the PGA and LPGA Tours over the years. It's just 7 miles west of the Portland airport if you're flying into the area.
SOULE PARK GOLF COURSE
- Ojai, California
Monday, May 15, 2023
This Gil Hanse renovation in the gorgeous Ojai Valley north of Los Angeles has won the praises of architecture enthusiasts. Each October, G.M. Keith Brown hosts the Ojai Senior Cup, which is fast becoming one of the top senior golf championships on the West Coast. You can easily turn your Monday qualifier into a weekend getaway in the Ojai Valley, with lots of lodging choices ranging from "glamping" in an Airstream to staying at the historic Ojai Valley Inn. And once you play Soule Park, you're sure to want to apply for the Ojai Senior Cup so you can return in October -- one of the nicest times to visit the area.
LONG COVE CLUB
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Monday, May 22, 2023
As if you needed an excuse to visit one of the most iconic golf destinations in the country. Why not qualify at the host course of the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate, set among dozens of top courses including Harbor Town Golf Links. Check out the Long Cove Club's website
and you'll be hooked -- it's a Pete Dye design set within a "breathtakingly beautiful Lowcountry backdrop featuring century-old live oak trees dripping with Spanish moss, stately Carolina pines, and stunning saltwater marshes." It's private, but not on May 22.
ARCOLA COUNTRY CLUB
- Paramus, New Jersey
Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Do you love fast greens? Arcola Country Club in New Jersey is known for its speedy surfaces, and for playing a large role in competitive golf. The host of the annual Arcola Cup and one of the qualifying courses for the 2022 U.S. Amateur will test your game. If you like the old-school country club layout and excel on and around the greens, you might just punch your ticket to Wisconsin at Arcola. Paramus is just 15 miles outside of New York City, and there are a lot of other amazing courses to play in the area (especially if you have connections).
OMNI HOMESTEAD RESORT CASCADES COURSE
- Hot Springs, Virginia
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Talk about a classic resort. The Omni Homestead Resort in the Allegheny Mountains has offered guests, including U.S. President Thomas Jefferson, access to healing hot springs since 1832. The Cascades Course -- designed by famed architect William Flynn (Shinnecock, Cherry Hills) -- has been the site of eight USGA championships, including the 1967 U.S. Women’s Open and 1988 U.S. Amateur. Sam Snead, a four-time U.S. Open runner-up and World Golf Hall of Famer, was The Homestead’s golf professional for nearly six decades.
* Those players who are exempt from qualifying and have already filed entries include 2022 champion Padraig Harrington, who won with a 72-hole score of 274 (10 under) at Saucon Valley Country Club, in Bethlehem, Pa. U.S. Senior Open champions Fred Funk (2009), Bernhard Langer (2010), Olin Browne (2011), Kenny Perry (2013, 2017), Colin Montgomerie (2014), Gene Sauers (2016) and Jim Furyk (2021) have also entered, along with U.S. Open champions Ernie Els (1994, 1997), Retief Goosen (2001, 2004), Michael Campbell (2005) and Furyk (2003).
* Mark Hensby posted the best finish by a qualifier at Saucon Valley, placing third behind Harrington and runner-up Steve Stricker. Hensby shot a 68 at Golfcrest Country Club, in Pearland, Texas, to advance. The club is hosting a qualifier for the third time.
* Stevens Point (Wis.) Country Club, located 4 miles southeast of SentryWorld., will host a U.S. Senior Open qualifier on Friday, May 26. The Portage County course has hosted the 1976 Wisconsin State Amateur and four Wisconsin State Opens (1970, 1975, 1981, 2000).
* California has the most qualifying sites with five. Three U.S. Senior Open qualifiers are scheduled in Florida, while Wisconsin and Texas will host two qualifiers. There are qualifying sites in 25 states.
* Don Pooley (2002) is the lone player to win the U.S. Senior Open after advancing through qualifying. In 2022, 21 golfers who played in a qualifier made the 36-hole cut at Saucon Valley.
* The 2023 U.S. Senior Open will be the 17th USGA championship contested in Wisconsin. To be eligible, a player must have a Handicap Index® not exceeding 3.4 or be a professional, and be 50 years of age at the start of championship play.
* In 2007, Brad Bryant won by three strokes over Ben Crenshaw in the lone U.S. Senior Open to be contested in Wisconsin. The championship was played at Whistling Straits, in Kohler.
Complete list of 2023 U.S. Senior Open Qualifying Sites (33)
Monday, May 8 (1)
Eagle Eye G.C. (Hawk Hollow Course), Bath Township, Mich.
Tuesday, May 9 (1)
Woodmont G. & C.C., Canton, Ga.
Wednesday, May 10 (1)
Columbia Edgewater C.C., Portland, Ore.
Thursday, May 11 (2)
Oak Ridge (Tenn.) Country Club
Indian Creek G.C. (Creek Course), Carrollton, Texas
Monday, May 15 (6)
Green Valley C.C., Fairfield, Calif.
Big Canyon C.C., Newport Beach, Calif.
Soule Park Golf Course, Ojai, Calif.
Cheyenne Shadows G.C., Fort Carson, Colo.
Golfcrest C.C., Pearland, Texas
Oakbrook G.C., Lakewood, Wash.
Wednesday, May 17 (2)
New Mexico State University G.C., Las Cruces, N.M.
Troy Burne G.C., Hudson, Wis.
Thursday, May 18 (1)
Orchard Ridge C.C., Fort Wayne, Ind.
Monday, May 22 (6)
San Luis Obispo (Calif.) C.C.
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club, Ocala, Fla.
Firekeeper Golf Course, Mayetta, Kan.
Argyle C.C., Silver Spring, Md.
Worthington Hills C.C., Columbus, Ohio
Long Cove Club, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
Tuesday, May 23 (3)
Lost Tree Club, North Palm Beach, Fla.
Flossmoor (Ill.) C.C.
Arcola C.C., Paramus, N.J.
Thursday, May 25 (1)
Lakewood National G.C., Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Friday, May 26 (1)
Stevens Point (Wis.) C.C.
Tuesday, May 30 (1)
Goose Creek G.C., Jurupa Valley, Calif.
Wednesday, May 31 (3)
Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro, Mass.
Indiana (Pa.) C.C.
The Omni Homestead Resort (Cascades Course), Hot Springs, Va.
Thursday, June 1 (1)
Wynlakes G. & C.C., Montgomery, Ala.
Monday, June 5 (2)
Arizona C.C., Phoenix, Ariz.
Leilehua Golf Course, Wahiawa, Hawaii
Thursday, June 8 (1)
Mill Creek G.C., Mebane, N.C.