COVID halts the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, alters pro format
- PGA Tour Photo
The PGA TOUR has announced that the 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am will be played without the traditional multi-day pro-am format due to local COVID-19 circumstances in the Monterey Peninsula. The professional portion, featuring 156 players, will be played as scheduled, February 8-14, 2021, but will be held on only two courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links and Spyglass Hill Golf Course.
“We will truly miss watching the actors, musicians, athletes and other amateur participants that make this event so special,” said Steve John, Tournament Director and Monterey Peninsula Foundation CEO.
The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, which will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2021, had previously announced spectators will not be on-site at this year’s event. Through the unwavering support of AT&T, the second-longest running title sponsor on the PGA TOUR, the tournament will continue to maximize charitable contributions in the area. Since 1947, the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am has generated more than $176 million for charities in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties.
In addition, a pro-am will be conducted Wednesday morning to support local charitable giving. The ‘Every Shot Counts’ pro-am will allow participants the opportunity to help drive grantmaking by targeting four key initiatives. Just as every shot counts, every dollar contributed will be invested by Monterey Peninsula Foundation in critical areas brought on by the pandemic. Over the last five months, the PGA TOUR has successfully hosted Wednesday pro-ams, an integral part of tournament week. With a limited number of amateur participants, the pro-am is conducted in accordance with a comprehensive health and safety plan, including COVID-19 testing.
Following the standard cut to 65 and ties, the third and final rounds will be played on Pebble Beach Golf Links. Since the tournament moved to the Monterey Peninsula in 1947, the final action has unfolded on the iconic holes of Pebble Beach Golf Links. The tournament plans to return to the traditional pro-am format – conducted over three courses – in 2022.
“This was a very difficult decision, but the right one given the recent surge in COVID-19 cases,” said Bill Perocchi, Chief Executive Officer of Pebble Beach Company.
The 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am was won by Nick Taylor in 2020, and the pro-am competition was won by Larry Fitzgerald and Kevin Streelman. Fitzgerald, a future Hall of Fame wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals, and Streelman won for the second time in three years.
Related: 2020: Larry Fitzgerald wins Pebble Beach Pro-Am for 2nd time in 3 years
Related: 2018: Streelman, Fitzgerald Win the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am
ABOUT THE AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am
One of the most exciting events on the PGA TOUR,
AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is contested annually in
front of over 190,000 spectators and millions of
television viewers on three of the Monterey
premier golf courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links,
Hill Golf Course, and Monterey Peninsula Country
View Complete Tournament Information