Interview with Bob Royak, senior amateur major champion
- USGA/Chris Keane photo
At the age of 58, Bob Royak
is playing some of the best golf of his life. The 2019 U.S. Senior champion stared down many of the best seniors in amateur golf and emerged with another significant title this past week at the Jones Cup Senior in Sea Island.
AmateurGolf.com caught up with him as he was driving the trophy back to his home in Alpharetta, Ga.
Related: Bob Royak tops a strong field to win the Jones Cup Senior
Royak detailed how he closed out the Jones Cup, trying to hold off some heavy-hitting playing partners while finishing in a downpour and not having his best game during the final round.
Other topics included:
- His approach in wet weather
- His memories of Bandon Dunes and his return this summer for the U.S. Amateur
- His path through mini-tour golf, tour school, amateur reinstatement, and now to senior golf
- Keys to his success as a senior golfer and why he's playing some of the best golf of his life
- The camaraderie of the national senior amateur circuit and his thoughts about players like Gene Elliott and Doug Hanzel