Cedar Crest was originally designed by A.W. Tillinghast in 1919 and opened as a private country club. Cedar Crest was the site of the first Dallas Open in 1926 and the 1927 PGA Championship. The city of Dallas purchased the course in the 1940's. More recently, the course has undergone a $3 million renovation project, conducted by D.A. Weibring/Golf Resources, Inc., that includes the addition of a practice range and a lake. Enhancements also include a new teaching center, a computerized pumping and irrigation system, new tees and greens, and sand bunkers.