by Sean Martin, Beth Ann Baldry
AUGUSTA, Ga. — Tianlang Guan shot 75 Friday to finish at 4-over 148. The 14-year-old's fate will now be in the hands of the tournament's leaders. Guan, 14, was tied for 63rd when he finished his round. The Masters cuts its field to the top 50 and ties and all players within 10 shots of the lead. There was a five-way tie for the lead at 4 under par when Guan finished his round. The cut would be 6 over par if the lead stays at 4 under.
Guan is the youngest competitor in Masters history, and would become the youngest player to make the Masters cut. Matteo Manassero was the youngest competitor in Masters history when he competed as a 16-year-old in 2010. He also made the cut, finishing 36th to earn low-amateur honors.
Guan made bogeys at Nos. 4, 7 and 17 and had 15 pars. His bogey at 17 was the result of a one-stroke penalty for slow play.
"I know the rules pretty good I think. My routine is pretty good too, just the wind switching," Guan said.
"I respect the decision. This is what they can do."
One of his playing partners was a little more outspoken.
"This isn't going to end up pretty, I don't think. I'm sick. I'm sick for him," said two-time Masters champion Ben Crenshaw, who played with Guan. "He's 14 years old. . . . When you get the wind blowing out here, believe me, you're going to change your mind a lot. I'm sorry, I'm a player. But it is not easy to get around this golf course the way it's set up for two days."
A player must complete 72 holes to earn low-amateur honors. If Guan makes the cut, he might be the only amateur to do so. Among other amateurs:
• British Amateur champion Alan Dunbar shot 83-77.
• U.S. Amateur runner-up Michael Weaver shot 78-74.
• U.S. Mid-Am champ Nathan Smith was 6 over through 15 holes today and 11 over for the tournament.
• T.J. Vogel, the U.S. Amateur Public-Links champ, was 2 over through 9 holes today and 7 over for the tournament.
• U.S. Amateur champion Steven Fox shot a first-round 76 and was 4 over through six holes Friday, putting him at 8 over overall and dropping him outside the cut line.