Charlottetown, P.E.I. (August 27, 2005) -- Michael Jackson of Collingwood, Ont. knocked off Peter Malo of Beaconsfield, Que. to move on to quarter final action at the 2005 Canadian Mid-Amateur Championship, conducted by the Royal Canadian Golf Association (RCGA).
Jackson came to the 18th hole 1 UP and was faced with a tricky downhill 20-footer for birdie, while Malo waited for his birdie chance from just over 10 feet. Jackson surprised Malo and the gallery of spectators as he ended the match by making an unbelievable putt to claim a 2-UP victory.
“I was happy to see that putt go in…it eliminated the opportunity for him to make the birdie and push another hole” said Jackson, who has previously got as far as the semi-finals at the 2001 Canadian Mid-Amateur Championship. “Momentum is big in match play…the turning point of the match was on 14 when I made a great bunker shot.”
In the afternoon, Jackson met up with 1999 Canadian Amateur Champion David Schultz of Calgary for a tough quarter-final match that saw Schultz secure a birth in the semi-finals with a 3&1 win. Schultz will meet up with Team Saskatchewan member Karl Parrington of Saskatoon in semi-final action beginning at 7:30 am Sunday morning.
Local favourite Tim Yorke of Kensington, P.E.I. wrestled back from a slow start in his second round match to defeat Senan Foley of Calgary 2&1. A large local crowd followed him in his quarter final match where he battled Tom Skinner of Red Deer, Alta. Yorke took control on the 13th hole and never looked back, winning the match 4&2.
“You’ve gotta place it well to play these guys!” said Yorke, who plays out of Andersons Creek Golf Course in Stanley Bridge, P.E.I. “I’ve been playing really well this summer and I’m going to continue to play my own game.”
Bill Cameron of Saskatoon, Sask. fell 3&2 to Rob Collins of Yarmouth, N.S. who recently had a strong finish at the Canadian Men’s Amateur Championship at Bell Bay Golf Club in Baddeck, N.S.
“I am taking some momentum from the Canadian Men’s Amateur where I played a tough young guy,” said Collins who met up with 2005 Canadian Junior Champion, Mitchell Fox in the first round of match play falling 2&1. “I’m going to get some practice in and hope my swing is there when I go to the first tee tomorrow!”
Semi-final matches begin at 7:30 am (Atlantic time) Sunday morning with players hoping to advance to the afternoon final at 12:30 pm. Spectators are welcome to come out to Belvedere Golf Club to watch the final day of play at the 2005 Canadian Mid-Amateur Championship.
The following are second-round match results for Saturday, August 27, 2005:
(32) Michael Jackson (Collingwood, Ont.) Def. 2-UP Peter Malo (Beaconsfield, Que.) (17)
(9) David Schultz (Calgary, Alta.)Def. 3&2 Ernie Sheaves (Fort McMurray, Alta.) (9)
(29) Karl Parrington (Saskatoon, Sask.) Def. 3&1 Colin Coben (Delisle, Sask.) (20)
(28) Alan Stewart (Grande Prairie, Alta.) Def. 1-UP Richard York (Fredericton, N.B.)(21)
(30) Bill Cameron (Duck Lake, Sask. Def. 2-UP Jim Briggs (Fenwick, Ont.) (18)
(10) Rob Collins (Yarmouth, N.S.) Def. 5&4 Bob Brown (Fredericton, N.B.) (26)
(14) Tim Yorke (Kensington, P.E.I.) Def. 2&1 Senan Foley (Calgary, Alta.) (3)
(6) Tom Skinner (Red Deer, Alta.) Def. 2&1 Gerry MacMillan (Kingston, N.S.) (11)
The following are quarter-final match results for Saturday, August 27, 2005:
(9) David Schultz (Calgary, Alta.) Def. 3&1 Michael Jackson (Collingwood, Ont.) (32)
(29) Karl Parrington (Saskatoon, Sask.) Def. 2&1 Alan Stewart (Grande Prairie, Alta.) (28)
(14) Tim Yorke (Kensington, P.E.I.) Def. 4&2 Tom Skinner (Red Deer, Alta.) (6)
(10) Rob Collins (Yarmouth, N.S.) Def. 3&2 Bill Cameron (Duck Lake, Sask.) (30)
The following are semi-final matches scheduled for Sunday, August 28, 2005:
(9) David Schultz (Calgary, Alta.) vs Karl Parrington (Saskatoon, Sask.) (29)
(10) Rob Collins (Yarmouth, N.S.) vs Tim Yorke (Kensington, P.E.I.) (14)