California State Am: Medalist Woods (Steve) Advances
PEBBLE BEACH, CALIFORNIA (June 22, 2006) --Steve Woods of Cupertino narrowly avoided the "medalist jinx" -- at least for one round -- and leads 16 players into the second round of match play at the 95th California Amateur Championship at Pebble Beach Golf Links.
The 34-year-old Woods, who in 1994 became the last person to win both medalist honors and the championship, rallied back and then held on to defeat reigning SCGA Mid-Amateur champion Robert Funk of Canyon Lake, 1 up. Woods will face 18-year-old high school star Roberto Galletti of Clayton who won the first four holes -- three with birdies -- to oust reigning SCGA Amateur champion Scott McGihon of Bermuda Dunes, 5 & 4.
Meanwhile, defending champion Don DuBois of Newport Beach dropped a 2 & 1 decision to Jeff Gilchrist of Carmichael, extending the streak without a back-to-back winner to 52 years. DuBois was 3 down after six holes to Gilchrist, who was a San Jose State teammate of Woods. DuBois rallied to take a 1-up with a birdie 3 on the 13th hole, only to have Gilchrist stage his own rally to regain the lead the claim the match.
Joseph Bramlett of Saratoga, who lost to DuBois in the championship match, never trailed in his match but had to go 17 holes to outlast a stubborn Andrew Biggadike of Palo Alto, 2 & 1.
In other matches:
- USC student Jordan Nasser defeated UC Santa Barbara golf coach Steve Lass, 4 & 2;
- Chris Kilkenny of Arcata took out Michael Carpenter of Irvine, 4 & 3;
- USC student Brad Shaw of Pacific Palisades defeated 16-year-old Gregor Main of Danville, 5 & 3;
- Both of the 49-year-old golfers advanced to the3 second round and by the same score. James Meyer of Dana Point, edged Brian Edick of Valencia and UC Irvine, 1 up, while Gerry Simoni of Carlsbad defeated Marc Peterson of Modesto by the same score;
- Reigning Trans-Mississippi Mid-Amateur champion David Bartman of Los Angeles knocked out UCLA student Brandon Christianson of Valencia, 5 & 4;
- Aaron Goldberg of Carlsbad defeated Mark Modglin of Simi Valley, 4 & 3;
- St. Mary's College Golf Coach Scott Hardy of Pittsburg defeated Matthew Pierce, Jr. of San Juan Capistrano, 3 & 2;
- In a battle of good friends who are both age 46, John Pate of Santa Barbara defeated John McClure of Los Angeles, 3 & 2;
- UCLA junior Matt Marshall of Los Gatos defeated Georgia Tech rising sophomore Cameron Tringale of Laguna Niguel, 4 & 2.
- Eric Justesen of Cameron Park eliminated 14-year-old Adam Ichikawa of Los Altos, 3 & 2.
95th California Amateur Championship
At Pebble Beach Golf Links, Pebble Beach, CA
6,833 yards, par 72
Match play results:
- Ed Cuff, Rancho Santa Fe, d. Dan Sullivan, Pasadena, 5 &3
- Jordan Nasser, Anaheim Hills d. Steve Lass, Santa Barbara, 4 & 2
- Chris Kilkenny, Arcata, d. Michael Carpenter, Irvine, 4 & 3
- Brad Shaw, Pacific Palisades, d, Gregor Main, Danville, 5 & 3
- James Meyer, Dana Point, d, Brian Edick, Valencia, 1 up
- David Bartman, Los Angeles, d, Brandon Christianson, Valencia, 5 & 4
- Roberto Galletti Jr., Clayton, d. Scott McGihon, Bermuda Dunes, 5 & 4.
- Steve Woods, Cupertino, d. Robert Funk, Canyon Lake, 1 up
- Jeff Gilchrist, Carmichael, d, Don DuBois, Newport Beach, 2 & 1
- Aaron Goldberg, Carlsbad, d, Mark Modglin, Simi Valley, 4 & 3
- Scott Hardy, Pittsburg, d. Matthew Pierce, Jr., San Juan Capistrano, 3 & 2
- John Pate, Santa Barbara, d. John McClure, Los Angeles, 3 & 2
- Matt Marshall, Los Gatos, d. Cameron Tringale, Laguna Niguel, 4 & 2
- Joseph Bramlett, Saratoga, d. Andrew Biggadike, Palo Alto, 2 & 1
- Gerry Simoni, Carlsbad, d. Marc Peterson, Modesto, 1 up.
- Erick Justesen, Cameron Park, d. Adam Ichikawa, Los Altos, 3 & 2
Afternoon matches began at 12 noon.