ABOUT THE IDA E. DIXON CUP
Established September 25, 1917
Mrs. Henry P. Dixon was President of The
Women's Golf Association of Philadelphia from
1911 until her death in 1916. In 1903 when the
present Wallingford property for The Springhaven
Club was purchased and an 18-hole course laid
out, according to The Architects of Golf, by
Geoffrey Cornish and Ronald E. Whitten, it was
Ida Dixon who was responsible for the design of
the course, making her the first female golf
architect in America and probably in the world.
Her son, Clayton G. Dixon, presented the Ida E.
Dixon Cup in her memory in 1917. The
tournament was played at Springhaven the first
year, then at Wilmington and thereafter at
Since 1956, this event has been conducted by The
Women's Golf Association of Philadelphia.